Medically Essential Service
Our Medically Essential Service can help you or someone you love who is dependent on electric-powered medical equipment. This service provides extra services such as Pre-notifications before a major hurricane. However, it does not guarantee service nor provide an exemption from paying electric bill.
How to Apply
To join this service, you can complete your application online or by printing the Medically Essential Service form.
You will need to:
- Complete Part A - "Customer Application"
- Have your physician complete Part B - “Physician’s Certificate”
If you selected:
- Online application - You and your physician will be required to provide electronic signatures to complete the application
- Print application - Return the completed and signed form to FPL at the address below or you can fax it to 305 552-4955 or email it to FPL-MESP@FPL.com
Attention Medically Essential Service program CSF/GO
PO Box 029100
Miami, Fla. 33102-9100
Important note: To ensure your Medically Essential Service records are current, you must reapply for the service each year. The form can be completed online or by printing it.
Any FPL residential customer whose electric service is medically essential is eligible to join if that medical condition has been certified by a physician licensed to practice in Florida.
Electric service is considered essential if you’re dependent on electric-powered equipment as specified by a physician to avoid:
- Loss of life
- Serious medical complications requiring immediate hospitalization
- We encourage you to build a personal family emergency plan.
- You can find shelter locations and register with your county's Special Needs Registry.
Are you or someone you love dependent on having special electric-powered medical equipment at home? Please let us know. Our Medically Essential Service can help.
When appropriate, this service can help you with:
- Special notices before and after a hurricane
- Special notices before electrical service is disconnected for non-payment
- Referrals to social-service agencies that provide financial assistance
If you’re eligible for this service, you may be provided extra time to secure funds or make other arrangements to help ensure your electricity-dependent medical needs are met. However, this does not guarantee uninterrupted service or provide an exemption from paying electric bills. You will still be responsible for backup equipment and power supply in the event of power outages.
AWARE Service Program
If you or someone you love is elderly and alone, we can help provide an extra layer of protection. Our specially trained field employees act as an invaluable set of “eyes and ears” as part of our Always Watching for At-Risk Elders (AWARE) service. They help identify and refer at-risk elders (and others) to various social-service organizations that can provide the help they need. Hundreds of customers have received government assistance, care and ongoing support from the various agencies that partner with us in this service.
Simply contact your local government 2-1-1 Helpline for information and assistance. You may be eligible for a variety of 2-1-1 resources.