FPL has been installing underground service for close to 40 years and is committed to increasing its underground facilities. More than 37 percent of our current system is already underground, compared to about 20 percent in other utilities nationwide. Currently, more than two-thirds of FPL’s new distribution lines have been placed underground. In the last couple of years, there has been a lot of interest in underground service. We have received requests for this type of service for many reasons including: aesthetics and increased reliability during adverse weather.
While underground service is convenient in many ways, it is important for interested customers to understand its pros, cons and requirements to consider when choosing if it is right for your neighborhood.
- Better reliability in normal and adverse weather conditions, especially during wind and lightning events
- Fewer number of power interruptions
- No poles or overhead wires in the conversion area
- Longer duration of outages
- More susceptible to flooding, which delays restoration efforts
- Repairs of underground lines may require pre-arranged outages and excavation of private property